Friday 27 January 2012

OUDF404 Directing, my role in the group

I took upon myself to direct our 2 minute short piece. It was my role in the group to over see the whole project and make sure it ran smoothly, checking that we had the right equipment and we were prepared on the day of filming. I also took it upon myself in the group to shoot the film from discussion with my two storyboard artists Sophie and Alex who were excellent and worked well in a team in decided the cinematography and directing the photography of the shoots so that they related and lived up to the storyboards. As i a director i put in a lot of research into the genre we were pursing and similar pieces. It was my first time leading a project like this and may have got off to a relatively slow start. But I feel i have brought a lot towards our group and have enjoyed working with my group in this project.

The first day filming in York was very successful. I was thoroughly prepared with all my equipment and the filming went smoothly. Ryan and Sophie stood by ready to help me with my equipment and helped greatly with ideas on certain shots. Alex and Lucy's acting were great. The only problem we came across during the day was the lack of lighting on the end scene, so we decided to call it a day and tackle the problem on Tuesday.

Second day filming went just as well as the first. we polished off the ending scene, renting out the correct lights so that we could film the end night scene. As a director i found it hard at some points managing the group and giving the group advice and positive criticism. I think the main reason is the fact that this is our first group assignment and maybe at first found it hard to convey ideas and communicate with my group. But i feel after this first intense day filming this boundary was soon knocked down and as group have worked extremely well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment